Saturday, July 7, 2007

Halfway to 70

June 29 was my 35th birthday! In some ways I feel older and in other ways I feel much younger. For me, at least right now, age is relative and I'm glad to be where I am and doing what I'm doing. I keep a journal specifically dedicated to my birthdays -- meaning I only write in it once a year. It's fun to turn the page and see what was happening in my life exactly one year ago or five years ago. I'm able to get a quick read on my life. For example, birthday 32 took place in Queens, New York. Sydney was just 10 months old and I thought she was my last baby! It was incredible to turn two more pages and find two more babies!!

This year I spent my birthday in Eden, Utah (never been there before) watching Avery play soccer. It was hot! Addison and Sydney and Jack ran around making new friends, getting sticky and being indulged by everyone around us. Paige was Paige and she spent the day doing what she does -- whatever that is. When a few people discovered it was my birthday they asked me what I was going to do to celebrate? I responded by telling them that I was sure a cake would show up at some point, and that my family would make it a party. Maybe I've turned some sort of corner, but at the ripe ole' age of 35 I was quite content to be sitting at the field spending time with people I love. I realize that when I'm older I'm going to have plenty of birthdays where I can spend the day at the spa or take a trip or whatever, but, how many birthdays will I have where I can just watch my little kids be little? I know when I am 70 I will read back through my birthday journal and cherish the birthdays I am having now. Why rush things?! I'll be 70 soon enough. Heck, I'm halfway there!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Do you just realize how grounded, how authentic you are? I remember being one of those people that asked you how you were going to celebrate your birthday and hearing, "It'll just be a typical day...with a cake I'm sure." And you are right, you will have those birthdays where you are traveling or at the spa but they will be in the right season. It's always nice to be wearing summer clothes in the summer and knowing winter will get there without even trying so may as well enjoy the sunshine while it is abundance.

camihubrich said...

Happy late birthday fellow June Bug. Sounds like you view birthdays like I do and so unlike Kris does. Sounded pretty nice.

Noah Vail said...

You have the amazing ability to keep everything in perspective. 35 is a great age, as are 40, 45, 50, 55 and so on, as long as you have reasons to celebrate life. And, you certainly have those!