Friday, April 27, 2007

Nose Balloons

So my 6 year-old finds a condom in my nightstand. She opens the package and brings it to me to question me about it. The conversation went something like this:

What's this Mom?

(pause...pause...pause...In a speed faster than light, my brain thinks of every possible answer and still can't come up with anything good. Do I tell her the truth? It's one of those moments I have never considered and have no idea what to do.) She fills in the stunned silence with...

Oh, I know, you use it for snoring. You put it on your nose and it stops you from snoring! Right?

Before I can say anything, the girl puts it on her nose and presses it tightly. As she does she blows some air out of her nose. The thing blows up like a balloon. I start laughing hysterically. Her eyes get wide and she says...

Cool! Nose balloons! These aren't for snoring! Can I have one? Where do you get them?

She proceeds to blow it up over and over and then, gleefully, skips out of the room, nose balloon in tow, to go show her sisters. Meanwhile, I'm still laughing -- partly because it's funny and partly out of nervousness. What will she say the day she discovers that her beloved nose balloons are something quite different?

5 comments:

duff said...

Next thing you know she will want them in different colors, do you think trojan would consider colors?-what a concept. I can just see her that is too funny--good job Mom.

Noah Vail said...

You know what my question will be: did you get it on video or at least on film? If not, I'm coming right over there and we're going to reenact it! Of course, I couldn't have contained my laughter long enough to hold the camera steady. Great story!

Kristin said...

Ha! In Real Simple they have a section called, "New Uses for Old Things", sounds like you have wiener, I mean winner here!

duff said...

Can I comment on everyone's comment?

camihubrich said...

I can't wait to be a mom...oh wait, yes I can. That is a classic.