Friday, April 13, 2007

Diapering Without Foreign Oil

As if I weren't considered freakish enough, I've decided to try using cloth diapers on my two youngest children! I actually began looking into the possibility of cloth diapering with my son, but didn't really feel the motivation until I had my baby and realized just how much it costs to buy diapers for two kids! I was looking at spending $80 a month just on diapers! I can think of a lot of things I'd rather do with that money than just buying poop repositories. So, I invested in cloth.
Cloth diapers in the 21st century are not our mother's cloth diapers. There aren't any pins and many of them come in really cute fabrics and have velcro and snaps. In fact, I was overwhelmed by all the choices available! I searched "cloth diapers" and got back an entirely new vocabulary list I had to learn before I could even think of buying any. I had to learn the difference between pre-fold, fitted, pocket, all-in-one, wraps, and doublers. Once I got that down, I made my first purchase. I went with the conventional pre-fold (these are the ones our moms used) and a wrap to cover it. These are by far the cheapest way to go. This way, if one gets ruined I'm not throwing away a $20 diaper. If anyone needs more info on this just let me know.
Anyway, I've been at it for over a week. At first it was hard to figure out where to put the wet diaper while trying to fold a clean diaper, while trying to hold a wiggly butt. Then I got smart and folded all the diapers so I could just grab one and have it ready to go. I've had to do some "dunking" in the toilet, but that wasn't so bad. In fact, my 6 year-old gave it a go one day and did a great job while managing to keep her hands clean!
The laundering of the diapers is relatively easy and kind of fun. They can't go in the dryer or they lose their absorbency -- due to dryer sheets giving them a waterproof residue. I now have a little clothes line outside and my kids have really gotten a kick out of hanging the diapers up to dry. Also, the sun bleaches the diapers and deodorizes them as well. We'll see just how long my kids like to help with the diapers, but, for now, they argue over who gets to hang them up.
It really was a good feeling to walk through Costco without having to stick 2 giant boxes of diapers in my cart. The diaper money will now be diverted to the DISNEYLAND money! Yay! On top of that, the absorbent part of disposable diapers is made with petroleum so I feel like I'm doing my ( teeny tiny) part to decrease our oil dependency -- not to mention decreasing the number of diapers in our landfills. Also, if some sort of disaster happened I would have diapers. I might not have food, but at least my kids' bums will be clean!
So far I really like using cloth diapers. I'm hoping my son will potty train sooner which would be a real bonus. My poor kids! What will their mother put them through next!?

3 comments:

duff said...

so can you put them in the dryer without a dryer sheet?......pretty soon, if you keep going, you will be your mother! That's a scary thought.

Kristin said...

This will almost like reading a novel entitled, "Things you have heard about, maybe even thought about or considered but were never brave enough to actually do it. By Alisha Worthington." I'm so glad you are a pioneer and guinnea pig on this front because by the time I get there, you will have worked out all the kinks, your kids will know the ropes and I will have stellar baby-sitters and a great plan for life!

Noah Vail said...

So, your interests run from the birth of your baby to the birth of the universe! Since I'm nearing that special period in my life, I may have to learn more about cloth diapers in order to save money myself. Your mention of "Disneyland" reminded me of a great one-liner Mitt Romney gave at the National Press Club: He said that he, Orrin Hatch and other Mormons recently had gotten together for 'a wild night on the town.' I was asked what we did, but 'What happens in Disneyland, stays in Disneyland.'"
Congratulations on joining the blogosphere. I'll check back periodically -- in case you put out a magazine.