Thursday, March 19, 2009

Mayan Adventure Here We Come!

After many mornings (and evenings, and nights and whatever time worked best) of "reading" the Book of Mormon with the kids -- and I use the term reading loosely -- we finally finished it, again, and we're going to celebrate by going to the Mayan Adventure restaurant tomorrow! However, I was just looking at the menu and realized the prices have changed since we were last there -- ouch -- but it will be worth it.

I don't know how much the kids got as far as plot, story line, deep inspiration, etc... but I do know that they were, in fact, paying attention most of the time. I know that because sometimes in the middle of a story or verse I would simply say, "And, he died. The end." Heads would pop up with confused looks on their faces and question what I had just said. Of course, some story lines were more interesting than others -- Ammon cutting off Lamanite arms with a sword was definitely a story talked about for awhile by my son. Also, the kids thought Abinadi's courage in standing down the wicked King Noah was amazing. And they couldn't believe the Jaredites could be so full of hate as to completely wipe out their entire civilization and wondered how anybody could do that!

Most reading time, however, consisted of us reading while Paige and/or Jack was crying or someone's dirty diaper needed changing, or big girls poking each other and me saying, in a not so nice voice, "Hey! We're trying to read the scriptures here so knock it off!" But, for those times when it was somewhat quiet and the story could come through or some great scriptural thought could be talked about, it was great. I felt like I came to understand the Book of Mormon even that much better and that my kids added a little more to their testimony foundation. I even think they liked it. In fact, when we reached the end we kind of looked at each other like, "Now what do we do?"

This morning we decided to embark on The New Testament while interjecting verses from the Book of Mormon that coincide with what we're reading. The kids are already looking forward to hitting a Greek restaurant upon completion. Can anybody say, "Cheap Gyros here we come!"

3 comments:

Jillo said...

I recommend Crown Burger, not super cheap but very yummy.

I think it is so great that you even have your little guys sitting and listening. We have not actually read from the scriptures, but rather relied on the good old gospel arts kit to do the job. It has worked nicely, but I think it may be time for something more.

I like the Mayan idea! How fun and your kids will love the divers. (plus they got rid of the 5 dollar a piece balloon animal guy, so that is a bonus.)
I don't think you know it, but you are such an inspiration to me. I admire your patients and happy attitude so much, as well as your awesome parenting and your fabulous kiddos. Someday, when we grow up, we will be just like you guys. =)

Mel Sims said...

Have fun at the Mayan! You guys are awesome!! =] Love you!

Rees said...

Wow! The kids are already way farther then me in life...that is a tad bit sad!