Friday, February 1, 2008

I Love a Parade!

Going to the grocery store is quite an event for me and my family. We now have to use THREE carts just to manage the little bodies and have a place for the food! Paige sits in one cart, pushed by Addison. Jack sits in another cart, which has to hold the coats, purses, etc... because if we put food in his cart he opens anything he can get his little hands on (little piggy reference). He is pushed by me. Sydney sits in another cart, pushed by Avery because she still gets tired by the time we've walked every aisle in the store. We create a lot of roadblocks and traffic jams just trying to get through the store.

We usually get a lot of looks and occasionally a few comments. Here's a sampling of a few we've received recently:

While standing at the deli counter, out of the corner of my eye I notice a man taking the situation in. He says, "Man! You have A LOT of kids!" I reply that he is right and that I have another on the way. "Wow!" he says, "How come you're not totally crazy? I would be!" I ask him how he knows I'm NOT crazy? He just laughs at that and we go on our way.

We pass a man waiting to turn onto the aisle we're going down. He has to wait a long time for the three carts to go by. He says, quite loudly, but smiling, "Hey everybody, it's a parade!"

An elderly lady asks, "Are these all your children?" When I reply that they are she says, "How nice. You don't see big families anymore."

The last comment is the one we receive the most. It makes me feel good because I know that people have to be patient with us as we're passing by, but, hopefully, they'll take a few moments to sit back and watch the show -- it is truly comical. Maybe I should have the kids start throwing out candy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

To witness this "parade" first hand is truly a treat--you see I also shop at Harmons and every once in a while we are there at the same time. I will say Alisha looks and acts cool, calm and collected. And I agree with her about the "little piggy". After observing him for 2 seconds, he does need to be "locked" into the seat of the shopping cart--this to shall "pass", but while they are "pass" ing you can at least teach them the "parade wave."

Anonymous said...

The baby widget (Herman) is outstanding

Noah Vail said...

I can visualize the "parade." I can also visualize the Israelites plodding across the Sinai. You're an amazing Mom.

Kristin said...

This was such a funny visual when you were telling me. At first I had to make sure I heard you right, "3 carts?" And yep, it was three carts or parade floats...I think I like the idea of the parade floats :)

Jennie B. said...

That is too funny! You're amazing for actually taking them to the store with you! I think my mother might understand how you feel. Thank goodness your kids are so well behaved. I man tagged you!

Kristin said...

Hey Lish--good job on adding a widget to you blog! Looks Good!