Friday, August 17, 2007

Wake Up and Smell the Gunpowder

On the news recently I watched a story about how one of this year's "must have" school accessories is a BULLET-PROOF backpack! Are you kidding me? Not only could I not believe what I was seeing, but I was absolutely taken aback by the number of people buying these things for their kids! Hello!!! If you have to send your child to a place where you feel they need a bullet-proof ANYTHING is it not time to rethink just where you are sending your child?

I know that many people, unfortunately, do not have a choice as to where they send their kids to school due to economic or other life circumstances. And, I believe that any education is better then no education. For those people I guess I'm glad they can purchase a product that may possibly save their kid's life as he is crouching in a corner fending off shooters with his pack. Terrific. Urban warfare 101. To the people who do have a choice, it's time to actually take five minutes to think about the implications of what is happening here. Either place your child somewhere else or get really involved with your local school and/or legislature and try and bring about the changes necessary so that you don't feel you have to send your kid to school with her own uzi in order to defend herself! Wake up!

...alright...I'll get down now.


3 comments:

duff said...

Right On!!!!

Kristin said...

NO KIDDING! We don't let our kids go over to friends homes where there could potentially be drugs or alcohol or we keep our kids aware of situations that maybe risky morality wise...but we send our kids to a place where they have to protect themselves from shooters? Geez.

Cranberryfries said...

First time on your page and had to say hi! I also saw a recent news thing about knife resistant uniforms (mostly being sold in England, but also CA and NY). Owy! Sad! Ugh! (ps this is cuz Deb)