Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Never Say Never

I have a daily schedule. I never thought I would have a daily schedule. I never wanted a daily schedule. My husband has been telling me for years how much I would like a daily schedule. Of course, if he wanted me to do it, it was definitely out (oh my stupid pride).
Recently my kids have been fighting like crazy and I have been feeling even more stressed out than usual. I, notice the I, decided it was time to try something new. I know, how about a daily schedule! What a novel idea! When I told Bret "my" idea he just smiled and tried not to give me the "I told you so" smile which he knows would just send me running in the other direction.
I made a schedule and we started following it Monday. So far so good. I find I don't have to think so much about what we're going to do next. As a homeschooling Mom, it's nice to know where we're going without having to come up with a new plan every day. I think, until I had five children, it was easier to wing things because the chaos was at a 2 instead of a 9.5. Now it's sink or swim. I've always loved the water and am ready to swim. So, I'm ready to fall in with those who have touted the almighty schedule for years. Stephen Covey has a new fan. Never say never because you don't know how the universe will conspire against you.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I hear ya Lish. I have become devout to my planner, and am working toward developing a "housekeeping schedule" using flylady.net as a resource. I have found that it's nice to have a skeleton and a game plan but necessary to be flexible when life simply happens. For a long time I thought a schedule would smother my spontaneity, my fluidity but it actually reigns me in so that I can indeed be functionally spontaneous vs. choatically going along.

Kristin said...

AND by saying "never" I think you can pretty much guarantee it will be an "absolutely...some day" because the universe has a sense of humor and a wonderful way to make us move beyond ourselves.